Sunday, August 4, 2013

lil things

In my short 25 and a half years of existence, I've only learned one great truth.  Live with purpose and don't dwell on the insignificant daily trials and tribulations.

For one of the most powerful things I've ever watched or listened to, watch This is Water.  The thing that it did and continues to do is it calls me out as a person and how easy it is to go to the default setting in my head that everything is about me.  It has helped me realize and figure out what I really don't want to focus on in life, helping me create time for the things that really matter to me.

All my life I've chosen to see the small miracles that happen on a daily basis around me.  I've seen the supernatural like my dad being cured of a horrible dairy allergy when I was young by the simple touch and prayer of someone that had also been miraculously healed of a similar allergy through the power of prayer.  I witness more frequently the simple miracle of human kindness.  Most recently this evening when my car broke down halfway to Vegas from LA and I had to call for a tow.  I called AAA and they got someone out to me in about two hours.  AAA only covers the initial 7 miles, then you're at the mercy of the Tow Man on what the rate per a mile is after those 7 miles.  In my case $9 a mile and I was 31 miles from the nearest mechanic.  So minus the 7 miles, that leaves 24 which comes out to $216 for a tow.  I witnessed two miracles in that 31 miles of riding with the Tow Man.  We stopped along the way to help another AAA member who lost her purse and had no way to pay for gas at the station to get home.  The Tow Man gave her the allotted amount of gas AAA covers plus out of his own generosity, gave her all the gas he had with him on the truck.  The second and most personal miracle witnessed was the gift of a free 24 mile tow to the mechanic.  He shook my hand after unloading my car and walked back to his truck.  I called out to remind him I still owe him for the mileage and he told me not to worry about it.

These last few days have really tested me.  I'm to begin work in Las Vegas on a movie working as a camera assistant tomorrow morning and the job runs for an entire month.  Housing isn't covered on this production and the rate is low so once again I find myself at the mercy of friends for a place to crash.  This is stressful for me because I'm terrible at receiving gifts, compliments and charity but I always have to remember a quote from Mad Men:  "we'll always owe each other one".  This has stuck with me since I heard it.  The notion that between myself and my good friends, we don't keep track, we just help each other out as and when we can.  I find it a joy to pay it forward as and when I can.

A couple days ago, my roommate informed me that she was putting in her 30 days notice on our apartment because she was moving in with her boyfriend in Texas.  This came at a terrible time because of the movie I was working in Vegas.  I was going to be gone until September 2nd and I had to be out before September 1st.  I had no time to make arrangements before I left whether it be finding a new roommate or moving so I'll have to make a special trip back to LA to put my things in storage so I'm out of the apartment.  What was great about the living arrangement was we were on a month-to-month lease so we just had to put in 30 days notice when we wanted to move out.  This was the ideal situation until my friends' lease on their current place is up at the end of October when we'd all get a place together.  So now when I get back after this movie I'll have to make temporary arrangements for two months.  Again, the joy of good friends has bestowed upon me more gifts.  I've had a couple of offers from friends allowing me to crash with them for a couple months.

I also always have kind words and encouragement from my best friend Catie.  It got to the point a couple days ago with everything that all I wanted was to just lie down on the couch and put my head in her lap.  I never get to that point where I'm having a panic attack and feel overwhelmed with everything that was being thrown at me at a particular moment.  I go with the punches and make the best of the situation.  Shit happens and I refuse to cry over spilled milk.  I've got better things to do.  But that day, everything got the better of me and I just needed Catie.  Unfortunately she's 3000 miles away so I only get her via my iPhone.  I made it through that moment and even today's events of being stranded in the desert with car problems didn't phase me much.  I made the best of it with a little help from my talks with my dad and grandfather on the phone as the events played out.

So finally in Barstow, I only have to wait until morning and the mechanic will get to work on my car.  I was worried about losing my job for the month in Vegas but they got someone to fill in for me tomorrow and I'll see them Tuesday.


It's the little things that improve a day.

The only downside to today's events that is eating at me is my weed is cheaper than Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment